Historic Tours

 

 

Lenox Village Tours – South

within
miles from
    or
    Go
    Gilded Age Markers: 11
    TitleAddressDescription
    2 Kemble St., Frederick T. Frelinghuysen House, 1881 2 Kemble Street, Lenox
    MA 01240, USA

    2 Kemble St., Frederick T. Frelinghuysen House - 1881

    This Colonial Revival home, completed in 1881, was designed by Rotch and Tilden for the secretary of state for Chester A. Arthur and the former President was among the Frelinghuysen's guests.  It is currently The Kemble Inn, a restaurant and inn .  More Information

    Get Directions
    X
      or
      10 Kemble St., Spring Lawn, 1904 10 Kemble Street, Lenox
      MA 01240, USA

      10 Kemble St., John E. Alexandre House - 1904

      Built in 1904 in the decorative Beaux Art style, this home was designed by Guy Lowell. The house was built on the site of the former Sedgwick School which was a prestigious school for young ladies in the early 19th century. The property is currently being renovated as a time-share hotel. More Information

      Get Directions
      X
        or
        91 Walker St., Capt. R.S. Oliver House, 1895 91 Walker Street, Lenox
        MA 01240, USA

        91 Walker St., Col. R.S. Oliver House 1895

        This 1895 Colonial Revival was built by Mrs. Marion R. Oliver of Albany to replace an earlier summer home on this site.

        More Information

        Get Directions
        X
          or
          81 Walker St., Mrs. Wharton House, 1885 81 Walker Street, Lenox
          MA 01240, USA

          81 Walker St., William C. Wharton House - 1885

          Also known as Pine Acre, this 1885 Queen Anne was sold in 1892 to Nancy (Mrs. William C.) Wharton whose son Edward (Teddy) Wharton married the famous novelist Edith Jones Wharton.  Pine Acre is currently condominiums.  Edith Wharton's home, The Mount, is open to the public.  More Information

          Get Directions
          X
            or
            104 Walker St., Ventfort Hall 104 Walker Street, Lenox
            MA 01240, USA

            ventfort5.11.04.2v21

            This 1893 Jacobean Revival mansion was built by George and Sarah Morgan.  Sarah was the sister of J.P. Morgan.  It is now open to the public as the Museum of the Gilded Age.

            More Information

            Get Directions
            X
              or
              88 Walker St., Trinity Episcopal Church 88 Walker Street, Lenox
              MA 01240, USA

              88 Walker St., Trinity Episcopal Church - 1885-1888

              The Romanesque Trinity Episcopal Church was constructed 1885-1888 and is on the National Register.  It replaced an earlier church on Church St.

              More Information

              Get Directions
              X
                or
                51 Walker St., Harvey Proctor, 1912 51 Walker Street, Lenox
                MA 01240, USA

                51 Walker St., Harley Proctor House - c. 1912

                Built as a summer home for Henry Proctor of Proctor and Gamble, Also known as Orleton, this 1912 Classical Revival home is said to resemble a bar of Ivory soap.  It is currently operated as the Gateways Inn.  More Information

                Get Directions
                X
                  or
                  35 Walker St., Henry W. Bishop Cottage - 1885 35 Walker Street, Lenox
                  MA 01240, USA

                  35 Walker St., Henry W. Bishop Cottage

                  This Colonial Revival summer house is one of two on Walker St. (the other next door) owned by the Bishop family. and widely known as the Bishop Cottages.  They were rented to summer visitors or used to house the overflow from the Bishop's estate.  More Information

                  Get Directions
                  X
                    or
                    50 Church St., Michael Mahanna House - c.1888 50 Church St.
                    Lenox, MA 01240

                    50 Church St., Michael Mahanna House - c. 1888

                    This house is shingle style which is quite unique in Lenox.  The immigrant Mahanna family became very successful and owned several commercial properties in downtown Lenox. More Information

                    Get Directions
                    X
                      or
                      17 Main St., Electa Eddy House - 1883 13-31, Highway 7A, 17-25, Main Street, Lenox
                      Massachusetts, United States

                      17 Main St., Electa Eddy House - c. 1883

                      Queen Anne style; built on the site of an earlier house. More Information

                      Get Directions
                      X
                        or
                        12 Housatonic, George C. Haven Cottage - 1881 12 Housatonic St., Street, Lenox
                        Massachusetts, United States

                        12 Housatonic St., George C. Haven Cottage - 1881

                        This Gothic Revival/Queen Anne style house was one of two moved from the corner of Housatonic and Main Sts. when the Hagyard Drug Store was built in 1910.  The two, known as "Elm Cottages," were built in 1881 by Geroge C. Haven.  W.C. Schermerhorn purchased the house in 1887. More Information

                        Get Directions
                        X
                          or
                          Shiretown Era Markers: 6
                          TitleAddressDescription
                          64 Walker St., Judge William Walker House, 1804 64 Walker Street, Lenox
                          MA 01240, USA

                          64 Walker St., William Walker House - c. 1804

                          Completed in 1804, this Federalist style house was built for William Walker who served in the Revolutionary War and came home to Lenox to become a probate judge and investor in, among other things, the Lenox Dale Iron Works.  It is currently operated as the Walker House B&B.  More Information

                          Get Directions
                          X
                            or
                            18 Main St., Second County Courthouse - 1815 18 Main Street, Lenox
                            MA 01240, USA

                            28 Main St., Second County Courthouse

                            The Federal/Neo Classical Courthouse was built when the county outgrew the courthouse Lenox had built in 1791.  When Lenox ceased being the county seat in 1868, this building was used for various purposes eventually becoming the library. which it is today.  More Information

                            Get Directions
                            X
                              or
                              21 Church St., William P. Walker House - c.1835 21 Church St.
                              Lenox, MA 01240

                              21 Church St., William P. Walker House - c. 1835

                              This Greek Revival style home was moved from the corner of Kemble and Main when the new Trinity Church was built.  It was the home of Judge William P. Walker, son of Judge William Walker.  More Information

                              Get Directions
                              X
                                or
                                27 Church St., First Episcopal Church-1816 27 Church St.
                                Lenox, MA 01240

                                27 Church St

                                Before Trinity Episcopal Church was built at Kemble and Walker, this was the site of the Church and the source of the street's name.  It was built in 1816 as a typical wooden Gothic style church.  The Methodist Church was built on Church St. c. 1833 and eventually (1889) moved to its current location next door.  More Information.

                                 

                                Get Directions
                                X
                                  or
                                  17 Housatonic St., Jacob Washburn House - 1825 17 Housatonic Street, Lenox
                                  MA 01240, USA

                                  17 Housatonic St

                                  The Federalist style home was built for Jacob Washburn.  It is one of the few brick houses of the period.  Jacob Washburn had a large farm on East St.  and his family became major landowners in Lenox. More Information

                                  Get Directions
                                  X
                                    or
                                    27 Housatonic St., First County Courthouse - 1791 27 Housatonic Street, Lenox
                                    MA 01240, USA

                                     

                                    27 Housatonic St., First County Courthouse - 1791

                                    Lenox was the Berkshire County seat from 1787 to 1868.  Constructed in 1791 just west of the present Town Hall,  this was the first courthouse.  Typical of New England meeting houses it had a hipped roof and square cupola.   It became the town hall and Post Office when the second courthouse was built in 1815.   It was moved from Main and Old Stockbridge Road when the new Town Hall was built. More Information 

                                    Get Directions
                                    X
                                      or
                                      Lenox 20th Century Markers: 2
                                      TitleAddressDescription
                                      65 Walker St., Lenox Brotherhood Club, 1923 65 Walker Street, Lenox
                                      MA 01240, USA

                                      65 Walker St., Lenox Brotherhood Club - 1923 

                                      Now the Lenox Community Center, this Colonial Revival style structure was built in 1923 by George E. Turnure to honor his son who was killed in World War I. The Lenox Club occupied a building on this site until 1921.  More Information

                                      Get Directions
                                      X
                                        or
                                        36 Walker St., Peters Block - 1917 36 Walker Street, Lenox
                                        MA 01240, USA

                                        36 Walker St, Peters Block - 1917

                                        This Tudor Revival structure originally housed an antique store and family apartment.  It was modeled on a house in Kent, England (the original home of the owner, Leonard C. Peters) by Harding and Seaver who also built the Town Hall.   More Information

                                         

                                        Get Directions
                                        X
                                          or
                                          Settlement and Revolutionary War Markers: 3
                                          TitleAddressDescription
                                          7 Main St., Gen. John Paterson House - 1783 7, Main Street, Lenox
                                          Massachusetts, United States

                                          7 Main St., Major General John Paterson House - 1783

                                          Revolutionary War hero John Patterson came home and constructed this classic Federalist home.  It is the largest of the surviving Lenox houses from that period.  When Maj. Gen. Paterson left Lenox to settle in Lisle, NY, the house passed to his daughter Hannah and her husband Azirah EglestonMore Information.

                                          Get Directions
                                          X
                                            or
                                            16 Church St., John Whitlock House- 1771 16 Church Street, Lenox
                                            MA 01240, USA

                                            16 Church St

                                            The original house on this site was a simple two room structure belonging to John Whitlock who owned much of the land that would become downtown Lenox.  In the late 1770's, Whitlock opened his house as an inn for stagecoach travelers.  More Information

                                            Get Directions
                                            X
                                              or
                                              6 Main St., Curtis Hotel - 1829 6 Main St.
                                              Lenox, MA 01240

                                              6 Main St., Curtis Hotel - 1829

                                              There has been an Inn/Tavern on this site since 1773 when it was a stagecoach stop.  It was replaced by the Berkshire Coffee House in 1829.  William O. Curtis purchased the property in 1843 and it remained in the Curtis family for almost a century.  The old coffee house was demolished in 1895 and the present building was erected.   More Information

                                              Get Directions
                                              X
                                                or

                                                Lenox Village Tours – North

                                                within
                                                miles from
                                                  or
                                                  Go
                                                  Gilded Age Markers: 10
                                                  TitleAddressDescription
                                                  5 Greenwood St., Hartman Kuhn House - 1870 7 Greenwood St
                                                  Lenox, MA 01240

                                                  5 Greenwood St., Hartman Kuhn House - 1870

                                                  This Tudor Revival summer house was also known as Hillside.  It was owned for some time by Mr. and Mrs. Ross Whistler.  More Information

                                                  Get Directions
                                                  X
                                                    or
                                                    66 Church St., James O'Brien Jr. House - c.1885 66 Church Street, Lenox
                                                    MA 01240, USA

                                                    66 Church St 

                                                    The O'Brien family must have done well by the time this Queen Anne style was built next door to James's father's more modest home at 72 Church.  More Information

                                                    Get Directions
                                                    X
                                                      or
                                                      55 Main St., Congregational Chapel - 1877 55 Main Street, Lenox
                                                      MA 01240, USA

                                                      55 Main St., Congregational Chapel - 1877

                                                      This Gothic Revival chapel was built for winter services and events for the Church on the Hill congregation.  The new chapel was built on the site of an earlier octagon building used by the Lenox Library.  More Information.

                                                      Get Directions
                                                      X
                                                        or
                                                        120 Main St., The Willows - 1884 120, Main Street, Lenox
                                                        Massachusetts, United States

                                                        120 Main St., John M. Cook House - c. 1884

                                                        This Queen Anne style was a rectory for St. Ann's, a summer rental and now a funeral home.  More Information

                                                        Get Directions
                                                        X
                                                          or
                                                          136 Main St., Congregational Parsonage - 1895 136, Main Street, Lenox
                                                          Massachusetts, United States

                                                          136 Main St., Congregational Church Parsonage

                                                          This Queen Anne would have been a very stylish parsonage for Church on the Hill.  More Information

                                                          Get Directions
                                                          X
                                                            or
                                                            135 Main, Eliza Williams House - 1861 135 Main Street, Lenox
                                                            MA 01240, USA

                                                            135 Main St., Eliza Williams House - c. 1861

                                                            Moved from a location closer to Main St., this Colonial Revival was owned for much of the early 20th century by Miss Kate Carey.  More Information

                                                            Get Directions
                                                            X
                                                              or
                                                              15 Cliffwood St., Francis Farley House - 1850 15 Cliffwood Street, Lenox
                                                              MA 01240, USA

                                                              15 Cliffwood St., Francis D. Farley House - c. 1850

                                                              Pisturesque style home and carriage barn.  More Information 

                                                              Get Directions
                                                              X
                                                                or
                                                                16 Cliffwood St., Dr. Bernard McKay House - 1885 16 Cliffwood Street, Lenox
                                                                MA 01240, USA

                                                                16 Cliffwood St., Dr. Bernard McKay House - c. 1885

                                                                Queen Anne stye summer home for a wealthy New York couple.  More Information

                                                                Get Directions
                                                                X
                                                                  or
                                                                  22 Cliffwood St., Newton Sharp House - 1900 22 Cliffwood Street, Lenox
                                                                  MA 01240, USA

                                                                  22 Cliffwood St., Newton-Sharp House - c. 1900

                                                                  Classic Queen Anne style roofline with turret.  More Information

                                                                  Get Directions
                                                                  X
                                                                    or
                                                                    25 Cliffwood St., Edward Livingston House - 1889 25 Cliffwood Street, Lenox
                                                                    MA 01240, USA

                                                                    25 Cliffwood St., Edward Livingston House - 1889

                                                                    This Renaissance Revival "cottage" was one of five in Lenox designed by Thomas Tilden.  More Information

                                                                    Get Directions
                                                                    X
                                                                      or
                                                                      Shiretown Era Markers: 6
                                                                      TitleAddressDescription
                                                                      9 Cliffwood St, Calvin Burnham House - 1805 9 Cliffwood Street, Lenox
                                                                      MA 01240, USA

                                                                      9 Cliffwood St., Calvin Burnham House - c. 1805

                                                                      Federal style home built for business man with numerous business dealings with the Matoon family.  More Information

                                                                      Get Directions
                                                                      X
                                                                        or
                                                                        93 Church St., Typical House 1810 93 Church Street, Lenox
                                                                        MA 01240, USA

                                                                        93 Church St 93

                                                                        A Federalist style home (the porch added later) that a typical family might have lived in.  Probably moved from Main and Franklin. More Information

                                                                        Get Directions
                                                                        X
                                                                          or
                                                                          65 Main St., The Academy - 1802 65 Main Street, Lenox
                                                                          MA 01240, USA

                                                                          65 Main St., Lenox Academy - c. 1802

                                                                          This Federalist style building was constructed to house a school for young men in early Lenox.  More Information

                                                                          Get Directions
                                                                          X
                                                                            or
                                                                            73 Main St., James Robbins House - 1807 73 Main St.
                                                                            Lenox, MA 01240

                                                                            73 Main St., James Robbins House - c. 1807

                                                                            A Federalist style house that has provided a home for generations of prominent Lenox residents. More Information

                                                                            Get Directions
                                                                            X
                                                                              or
                                                                              114 Main St., Cook House - 1790 114 Main Street, Lenox
                                                                              MA 01240, USA

                                                                              114 Main St., Cook House - 1790

                                                                              A Federalist style farm house and tavern for the Cook family.  It was purchased by Richard Sands Tucker of Brooklyn, NY in 1866.  Caroline Katherine Cary (who owned what is now Garden Gables across the street) purchased a property for the Lenox branch of the Berkshire County Home for Aged Women.  More Information

                                                                              Get Directions
                                                                              X
                                                                                or
                                                                                169 Main St., Church on the Hill - 1805 169 Main Street, Lenox
                                                                                MA 01240, USA

                                                                                169 Main St., Church on the Hill - 1805

                                                                                On the National Register, this Federalist style church replaced an earlier meeting house nearby.  Also see historic cemetery.  More Information

                                                                                Get Directions
                                                                                X
                                                                                  or
                                                                                  Lenox 20th Century Markers: 2
                                                                                  TitleAddressDescription
                                                                                  132 Main St., St. Ann's Roman Catholic Church - 1911 132 Main St.
                                                                                  Lenox, MA 01240

                                                                                  132 Main St., St. Ann's Roman Catholic Church - 1911

                                                                                  With the influx of immigrants and cottagers, the Catholic community grew in Lenox, and a small wooden Catholic church was built in 1871.  It was replaced by Norman Gothic Revival Church.  Another Catholic church, St. Vincent de Paul, was also built in 1904 in Lenox Dale.  More Information

                                                                                  Get Directions
                                                                                  X
                                                                                    or
                                                                                    19 Cliffwood St., Albert Clifford House - 1914 19 Cliffwood Street, Lenox
                                                                                    MA 01240, USA

                                                                                    19 Cliffwood St., Albert Clifford House - 1914

                                                                                    Classical Revival - a new look for a new century.  More Information

                                                                                    Get Directions
                                                                                    X
                                                                                      or
                                                                                      Settlement and Revolutionary War Markers: 1
                                                                                      TitleAddressDescription
                                                                                      7 Hubbard St., Site of Israel Dewey House - 1770 7, Hubbard Street, Lenox
                                                                                      Massachusetts, United States

                                                                                      7 Hubbard St

                                                                                      The current colonial revival building replaced the earlier Israel Dewey home and tavern where the first Lenox town meeting was held in 1767.  More Information

                                                                                      Get Directions
                                                                                      X
                                                                                        or

                                                                                        Village Overview – PDF

                                                                                        Church on the Hill Burying Ground

                                                                                        NameAddressDescription
                                                                                        Jonathan Hinsdale (1724-1811) Lenox
                                                                                        MA, USA

                                                                                        The first recorded settler in Lenox; built a small house on what is now Old Stockbridge Road.  His daughter Rhoda thought to be first child born in Lenox.

                                                                                        Get Directions

                                                                                        X
                                                                                          or
                                                                                          Leonard Constance Peters Lenox
                                                                                          MA, USA

                                                                                          IMG_0231

                                                                                           

                                                                                          An excellent example of the immigrants who came to work on the estates and whose descendants populate modern Lenox.  One of 10 children, he left Kent, England when he was 20 to join family in Troy, NY.  He worked on the construction of Ethelwynd, brought his fiancee, Martha over, and raised three children in Lenox.

                                                                                          Get Directions

                                                                                          X
                                                                                            or
                                                                                            Major General John Paterson (1746-1808) Massachusetts 7A, Lenox
                                                                                            MA 01240, USA

                                                                                            maj_gen_john_patterson

                                                                                            He came to Lenox from New Britain, CT in 1766 and immediately became a community leader.  He served for all eight years of the Revolutionary War and was a friend and counselor to George Washington.

                                                                                            Get Directions

                                                                                            X
                                                                                              or
                                                                                              Azirah Egleston (1758-1822) Lenox
                                                                                              MA, USA

                                                                                              Azirah and Hannah Eggleston from D. Wood Book_NEWB

                                                                                              Born in Sheffield, MA, he enlisted as a private in the Revolutionary War at age 18 in April 1775.  He fought with Maj. Gen. John Paterson and came home to marry Gen. Paterson's daughter, Hannah.  

                                                                                               

                                                                                              Get Directions

                                                                                              X
                                                                                                or
                                                                                                Judge William Walker (1751-1831) Lenox
                                                                                                MA, USA

                                                                                                2014-08-06 08.17.54-1

                                                                                                Born in Rehoboth, MA, William Walker came to Lenox in 1773 and served in the Revolutionary War.  He led investing in the Lenox Dale iron works and was judge of the county court until his son, William P. Walker, succeeded him in 1824.

                                                                                                Get Directions

                                                                                                X
                                                                                                  or
                                                                                                  Dr. Anson Jones (1798-1858) Lenox
                                                                                                  MA, USA

                                                                                                  Anson_jones

                                                                                                  Born in Great Barrington, Anson Jones is a colorful example of the many Berkshire County residents who emigrated in the early 19th century to Ohio, Maine, New York - or in this case - Texas.  After a checked career as a doctor, Jones became the second and last (before it became a state) president of the Republic of Texas.

                                                                                                  Get Directions

                                                                                                  X
                                                                                                    or
                                                                                                    Anna Kneeland Haggerty Shaw (1835-1907) Lenox
                                                                                                    MA, USA

                                                                                                    anniehaggertyshaw3-230x300

                                                                                                    Born to a wealthy family in New York City, she met and married Robert Gould Shaw in 1861.  They honeymooned at her family summer home, Vent Fort, before he left to lead the first African American unit - the Mass 54th and died with them at Fort Wagner, South Carolina.

                                                                                                    Get Directions

                                                                                                    X
                                                                                                      or
                                                                                                      Edward Robbins Wharton (1850-1928) Lenox
                                                                                                      MA, USA

                                                                                                      teddywharton

                                                                                                      Teddy Wharton was destined to live the stereotypical version of the Gilded Age life so elegantly portrayed by his wife Edith Jones Wharton.  She designed and lived at The Mount in Lenox until she and Teddy separated. 

                                                                                                      Get Directions

                                                                                                      X
                                                                                                        or
                                                                                                        Serge Koussevitsky (1874-1951) Lenox
                                                                                                        MA, USA

                                                                                                        kousevitsky

                                                                                                        Born in what is now Tver Oblast Russia, he came to the United States in 1924.  He was renowned for his recording and conducting.  He is most revered in the Berkshires for bringing the Boston Symphony Orchestra to Tanglewood in 1936.

                                                                                                        Get Directions

                                                                                                        X
                                                                                                          or

                                                                                                          COH Tour v3

                                                                                                          Cemetery Records and Transcriptions of Information on the Tombstones 

                                                                                                          Leave a Reply

                                                                                                          Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

                                                                                                          This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.