From Surveys Completed 2011-2012 by Lenox Historical Society
This was originally a Federal-style house that has been altered over the years. The paired brackets under the eaves, round-arched window in the front gable, and round-arched door hood are all features of the Italianate style, indicating that a major remodeling took place during the period of that styles popularity (c.1850 – 1880). There are relatively few Italianate houses in Lenox, making this earlier house an interesting example of a later style.
This Italianate style building has two stories and an asphalt shingle roof which is intact. It consists of 3-bays, with a front gable roof with double scroll sawn modillions on the eaves. The two brick center chimneys are corbelled to create flared tops. It is sided with wood clapboards and the arched entrance canopy contains scroll sawn console brackets. The door surround has an arched transom and the window headers have cornices. The windows on the upper floors are 6-o-6. There are authentic window blinds, an arched attic window and a stone foundation. There is a wood picket fence around property.
This house was built in 1815 for Dr. Worthington, who may have practiced medicine here. It remained in the Worthington family until 1919, when the property was willed to the Church on the Hill by Mrs. Mary H. Barrett. Mrs. Barrett was a grand-daughter of the original owner, who had been a deacon of the church. From 1925 to 1975 the house was used as a parsonage and a gathering place for social events. In 1975 it was returned to use as a private home. Robert M. and Cynthia A. Taylor were the owners in 1979.
The property was acquired by Arthur A. Autorino in1989 and then by Thomas B. Sherman in 1997 and then by Steven M. Fortuna in 2001.
BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES:
Registry of Deeds
Congregational Church Records
Lenox Assessor’s database 2012