Lenox Village Tour South


Street Railway Lenox_NEW
Street Railway – Housatonic St.

within
miles from
    or
    Go
    Gilded Age Markers: 11
    TitleAddressDescription
    2 Kemble St., Frederick T. Frelinghuysen House, 1881 2 Kemble Street, Lenox
    MA 01240, USA

    2 Kemble St., Frederick T. Frelinghuysen House - 1881

    This Colonial Revival home, completed in 1881, was designed by Rotch and Tilden for the secretary of state for Chester A. Arthur and the former President was among the Frelinghuysen's guests.  It is currently The Kemble Inn, a restaurant and inn .  More Information

    Get Directions
    X
      or
      10 Kemble St., Spring Lawn, 1904 10 Kemble Street, Lenox
      MA 01240, USA

      10 Kemble St., John E. Alexandre House - 1904

      Built in 1904 in the decorative Beaux Art style, this home was designed by Guy Lowell. The house was built on the site of the former Sedgwick School which was a prestigious school for young ladies in the early 19th century. The property is currently being renovated as a time-share hotel. More Information

      Get Directions
      X
        or
        91 Walker St., Capt. R.S. Oliver House, 1895 91 Walker Street, Lenox
        MA 01240, USA

        91 Walker St., Col. R.S. Oliver House 1895

        This 1895 Colonial Revival was built by Mrs. Marion R. Oliver of Albany to replace an earlier summer home on this site.

        More Information

        Get Directions
        X
          or
          81 Walker St., Mrs. Wharton House, 1885 81 Walker Street, Lenox
          MA 01240, USA

          81 Walker St., William C. Wharton House - 1885

          Also known as Pine Acre, this 1885 Queen Anne was sold in 1892 to Nancy (Mrs. William C.) Wharton whose son Edward (Teddy) Wharton married the famous novelist Edith Jones Wharton.  Pine Acre is currently condominiums.  Edith Wharton's home, The Mount, is open to the public.  More Information

          Get Directions
          X
            or
            104 Walker St., Ventfort Hall 104 Walker Street, Lenox
            MA 01240, USA

            ventfort5.11.04.2v21

            This 1893 Jacobean Revival mansion was built by George and Sarah Morgan.  Sarah was the sister of J.P. Morgan.  It is now open to the public as the Museum of the Gilded Age.

            More Information

            Get Directions
            X
              or
              88 Walker St., Trinity Episcopal Church 88 Walker Street, Lenox
              MA 01240, USA

              88 Walker St., Trinity Episcopal Church - 1885-1888

              The Romanesque Trinity Episcopal Church was constructed 1885-1888 and is on the National Register.  It replaced an earlier church on Church St.

              More Information

              Get Directions
              X
                or
                51 Walker St., Harvey Proctor, 1912 51 Walker Street, Lenox
                MA 01240, USA

                51 Walker St., Harley Proctor House - c. 1912

                Built as a summer home for Henry Proctor of Proctor and Gamble, Also known as Orleton, this 1912 Classical Revival home is said to resemble a bar of Ivory soap.  It is currently operated as the Gateways Inn.  More Information

                Get Directions
                X
                  or
                  35 Walker St., Henry W. Bishop Cottage - 1885 35 Walker Street, Lenox
                  MA 01240, USA

                  35 Walker St., Henry W. Bishop Cottage

                  This Colonial Revival summer house is one of two on Walker St. (the other next door) owned by the Bishop family. and widely known as the Bishop Cottages.  They were rented to summer visitors or used to house the overflow from the Bishop's estate.  More Information

                  Get Directions
                  X
                    or
                    50 Church St., Michael Mahanna House - c.1888 50 Church St.
                    Lenox, MA 01240

                    50 Church St., Michael Mahanna House - c. 1888

                    This house is shingle style which is quite unique in Lenox.  The immigrant Mahanna family became very successful and owned several commercial properties in downtown Lenox. More Information

                    Get Directions
                    X
                      or
                      17 Main St., Electa Eddy House - 1883 13-31, Highway 7A, 17-25, Main Street, Lenox
                      Massachusetts, United States

                      17 Main St., Electa Eddy House - c. 1883

                      Queen Anne style; built on the site of an earlier house. More Information

                      Get Directions
                      X
                        or
                        12 Housatonic, George C. Haven Cottage - 1881 12 Housatonic St., Street, Lenox
                        Massachusetts, United States

                        12 Housatonic St., George C. Haven Cottage - 1881

                        This Gothic Revival/Queen Anne style house was one of two moved from the corner of Housatonic and Main Sts. when the Hagyard Drug Store was built in 1910.  The two, known as "Elm Cottages," were built in 1881 by Geroge C. Haven.  W.C. Schermerhorn purchased the house in 1887. More Information

                        Get Directions
                        X
                          or
                          Shiretown Era Markers: 6
                          TitleAddressDescription
                          64 Walker St., Judge William Walker House, 1804 64 Walker Street, Lenox
                          MA 01240, USA

                          64 Walker St., William Walker House - c. 1804

                          Completed in 1804, this Federalist style house was built for William Walker who served in the Revolutionary War and came home to Lenox to become a probate judge and investor in, among other things, the Lenox Dale Iron Works.  It is currently operated as the Walker House B&B.  More Information

                          Get Directions
                          X
                            or
                            18 Main St., Second County Courthouse - 1815 18 Main Street, Lenox
                            MA 01240, USA

                            28 Main St., Second County Courthouse

                            The Federal/Neo Classical Courthouse was built when the county outgrew the courthouse Lenox had built in 1791.  When Lenox ceased being the county seat in 1868, this building was used for various purposes eventually becoming the library. which it is today.  More Information

                            Get Directions
                            X
                              or
                              21 Church St., William P. Walker House - c.1835 21 Church St.
                              Lenox, MA 01240

                              21 Church St., William P. Walker House - c. 1835

                              This Greek Revival style home was moved from the corner of Kemble and Main when the new Trinity Church was built.  It was the home of Judge William P. Walker, son of Judge William Walker.  More Information

                              Get Directions
                              X
                                or
                                27 Church St., First Episcopal Church-1816 27 Church St.
                                Lenox, MA 01240

                                27 Church St

                                Before Trinity Episcopal Church was built at Kemble and Walker, this was the site of the Church and the source of the street's name.  It was built in 1816 as a typical wooden Gothic style church.  The Methodist Church was built on Church St. c. 1833 and eventually (1889) moved to its current location next door.  More Information.

                                 

                                Get Directions
                                X
                                  or
                                  17 Housatonic St., Jacob Washburn House - 1825 17 Housatonic Street, Lenox
                                  MA 01240, USA

                                  17 Housatonic St

                                  The Federalist style home was built for Jacob Washburn.  It is one of the few brick houses of the period.  Jacob Washburn had a large farm on East St.  and his family became major landowners in Lenox. More Information

                                  Get Directions
                                  X
                                    or
                                    27 Housatonic St., First County Courthouse - 1791 27 Housatonic Street, Lenox
                                    MA 01240, USA

                                     

                                    27 Housatonic St., First County Courthouse - 1791

                                    Lenox was the Berkshire County seat from 1787 to 1868.  Constructed in 1791 just west of the present Town Hall,  this was the first courthouse.  Typical of New England meeting houses it had a hipped roof and square cupola.   It became the town hall and Post Office when the second courthouse was built in 1815.   It was moved from Main and Old Stockbridge Road when the new Town Hall was built. More Information 

                                    Get Directions
                                    X
                                      or
                                      Lenox 20th Century Markers: 2
                                      TitleAddressDescription
                                      65 Walker St., Lenox Brotherhood Club, 1923 65 Walker Street, Lenox
                                      MA 01240, USA

                                      65 Walker St., Lenox Brotherhood Club - 1923 

                                      Now the Lenox Community Center, this Colonial Revival style structure was built in 1923 by George E. Turnure to honor his son who was killed in World War I. The Lenox Club occupied a building on this site until 1921.  More Information

                                      Get Directions
                                      X
                                        or
                                        36 Walker St., Peters Block - 1917 36 Walker Street, Lenox
                                        MA 01240, USA

                                        36 Walker St, Peters Block - 1917

                                        This Tudor Revival structure originally housed an antique store and family apartment.  It was modeled on a house in Kent, England (the original home of the owner, Leonard C. Peters) by Harding and Seaver who also built the Town Hall.   More Information

                                         

                                        Get Directions
                                        X
                                          or
                                          Settlement and Revolutionary War Markers: 3
                                          TitleAddressDescription
                                          7 Main St., Gen. John Paterson House - 1783 7, Main Street, Lenox
                                          Massachusetts, United States

                                          7 Main St., Major General John Paterson House - 1783

                                          Revolutionary War hero John Patterson came home and constructed this classic Federalist home.  It is the largest of the surviving Lenox houses from that period.  When Maj. Gen. Paterson left Lenox to settle in Lisle, NY, the house passed to his daughter Hannah and her husband Azirah EglestonMore Information.

                                          Get Directions
                                          X
                                            or
                                            16 Church St., John Whitlock House- 1771 16 Church Street, Lenox
                                            MA 01240, USA

                                            16 Church St

                                            The original house on this site was a simple two room structure belonging to John Whitlock who owned much of the land that would become downtown Lenox.  In the late 1770's, Whitlock opened his house as an inn for stagecoach travelers.  More Information

                                            Get Directions
                                            X
                                              or
                                              6 Main St., Curtis Hotel - 1829 6 Main St.
                                              Lenox, MA 01240

                                              6 Main St., Curtis Hotel - 1829

                                              There has been an Inn/Tavern on this site since 1773 when it was a stagecoach stop.  It was replaced by the Berkshire Coffee House in 1829.  William O. Curtis purchased the property in 1843 and it remained in the Curtis family for almost a century.  The old coffee house was demolished in 1895 and the present building was erected.   More Information

                                              Get Directions
                                              X
                                                or

                                                Background on Lenox Village

                                                Print Friendly, PDF & Email