34 Church St., William Mahanna House – c.1860

34 Church St., William Mahanna House - c. 1860
34 Church St., William Mahanna House – c. 1860

Based on Surveys Completed 2011-2012 by the Lenox Historical Commission


The original 19th century vernacular dwelling has been obscured by later additions and alterations. This undetermined style wood frame building has two stories, an asphalt shingle roof and front gable roof with cross-gabled side ell on the right.


One of the many properties owned by William Mahanna. Tunnels under this building had connected it with the Mahanna Hotel. The tunnels were reported to have been where bootleg liquor was stored during Prohibition.

In the rear of the building was a long shed in which the Town stored its horse drawn fire-fighting equipment, hook, ladder and steamer.

In 2007 it was purchased by PTW Development LLC – Church Street Condominium


1854 and 1876 Clark Maps

Atlas of Berkshire County, Mass. F.W.Bears, 1876

Lenox Assessor’s database 2011

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.