St. Helena’s Chapel New Lenox

St. Helena’s Chapel – 245 New Lenox Road


The 1893 Romanesque Revival chapel was designed by Pittsfield architect, Charles T. Rathburn.  It was donated by John Parson  in honor of his daughter Helena (1867-1892) who had died at age 24 of scarlet fever.  It is affiliated with Trinity Episcopal Church in Lenox.

Helen Reed Parsons


At the time the chapel was built, New Lenox was a working village unto itself with mills, train stop, general store, post office and school.

A wing was added in the 1950’s.  The current rectory was once the farm of C.E. Dewey.  As an illustration of how rural this part of Lenox remained, that property had been a working farm – complete with cow-into the 1950’s.

There is cemetery, now run by the Town of Lenox, across the street.








Print Friendly, PDF & Email